Christian Aid

Christian Aid began life in 1945 as Christian Reconciliation in Europe, responding to the needs of refugees and churches in Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War. In 1949 it became an integral part of the British Council of Churches (now CTBI) as the Department for the Inter-Church Aid and Refugee Service, becoming involved with world refugee settlement and justice issues. In 1964 the organisation changed its name to Christian Aid after its best known source of income, Christian Aid Week, which began in 1957. Since its inception Christian Aid has worked on long term development projects where the need is greatest, working with people and communities regardless of race or creed. Today it works in over 60 of the world’s poorest countries. Each year in May as part of Christian Aid Week a team of approximately 20 members of the congregation of St Columba’s join together to raise funds in the local area via street and railway station collections. If you would like to help, please contact Jean Stevenson on 020 7720 4455.